Marketing and Station Relations Manager, Communications
The Marketing and Station Relations Manager reports to the Vice President of Marketing & Communications at American Public Television (APT) and is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with public television station staff members, producers, talent, as well as key partners and constituents. This team member will develop and maintain marketing assets and collateral for digital streaming programming distributed by APT to the public media system, creating promotional opportunities within the public media system, with press, and in the general public.
As part of the APT Communications department, this position is responsible for the growth and management of all strategic promotion activities related to APT digital streaming initiatives, including station licensee communications, promotional toolkits and materials, on-air talent scripts, social media marketing, and publicity.
American Public Television (APT) is the leading syndicator of high-quality, top-rated programming to the nation’s public television stations. Founded in 1961, APT distributes 250 new program titles per year and more than one-third of the top 100 highest-rated public television titles in the U.S. APT’s diverse catalog includes prominent documentaries, performance, dramas, how-to programs, classic movies, children’s series and news and current affairs programs. Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, America’s Test Kitchen From Cook’s Illustrated, AfroPoP, Rick Steves’ Europe, Pacific Heartbeat, Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Television, Legacy List with Matt Paxton, Lidia’s Kitchen, Kevin Belton’s New Orleans Kitchen, Simply Ming, The Best of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, Live From the Artists Den, James Patterson’s Kid Stew and NHK Newsline are a sampling of APT’s programs, considered some of the most popular on public television.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Develop a communications calendar for APT digital streaming programming to public television stations and public media, viewers via social media, and trade press.
- Work closely with the Vice President of Marketing & Communications on new marketing and promotion efforts including, but not limited to: station marketing strategies, pitching, creating new ways to engage viewers and press, advertising, and social media marketing.
- Collaborate with APT internal distribution groups and the Communications department to secure and create marketing assets, including program descriptions and brand graphics for print, digital and broadcast use.
- Incorporate consistent messaging across APT communications materials, newsletters, and social media as part of the Communications department.
- Build and facilitate working relationships with producers, stations, and program talent to promote APT digital media initiatives.
- Manage promotional activities for APT digital and streaming programming, including calendars, turn-key copy and creative materials, e-newsletters, events, and information-sharing with key constituents.
- Liaise with the APT Web Team to build an internal delivery system to maintain marketing materials on the APT Website in order to facilitate access in a timely manner.
- Participate in the planning, promotion, and execution of APT’s annual Fall Marketplace meeting.
- Coordinate efforts with APT’s managing editor and the Web Team to monitor APT digital streaming research analytics for station case studies, staff reports, and Board presentations.
- Track digital streaming marketing trends in public media and the entertainment industry.
- Limited travel may be required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) with a minimum of five years’ working experience in the marketing and communications field is preferred.
- Solid professional experience managing advertising /marketing content and social media. B2B and B2C marketing and project management experience is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Exemplary project management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership capabilities.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Creative Cloud applications, social media platforms, and digital measurement tools such as Google Analytics are strongly preferred. Lotus Notes experience is desirable.
- Results-oriented and personally-driven
- Fine attention to detail and accuracy
- Professional in demeanor and phone manner
- A strong interest and enthusiasm for public media and American Public Television programming
- Recognizes and appreciates the importance of, and contributes to, company Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion commitments
- Demonstrated experience in a multi-tasking work environment
- The ability to work independently under established and self-prioritized deadlines, and as part of teams
- Positive attitude, collaborative and collegial approach to work
- Comfortable working in a small company with a participatory work style
This job description is intended to be general and will evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
APT offers generous benefits, competitive salaries, and a dynamic work environment. Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by email to HRCommsMarketingStationRelationsMgr@APTonline.org. No phone calls, please.
American Public Television is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.