Content Assistant, Business Development (Part-Time)Supervisor: Vice President, Business Development
American Public Television (APT) is the leading syndicator of high-quality, top-rated programming to the nation’s public television stations. Founded in 1961, APT distributes 250 new program titles per year and one-fourth of the top 100 highest-rated public television titles in the U.S. APT’s diverse catalog includes prominent documentaries, performance, dramas, how-to programs, classic movies, children's series and news and current affairs programs, dramas, how-to programs, children’s series and classic movies. Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, America’s Test Kitchen From Cook’s Illustrated, Cook’s Country, AfroPoP, Rick Steves’ Europe, Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Television, Legacy List with Matt Paxton, Front and Center, Lidia’s Kitchen, New Orleans Cooking With Kevin Belton, Simply Ming, The Best of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, James Patterson's Kid Stew and NHK Newsline are a sampling of APT’s programs, considered some of the most popular on public television. APT also licenses programs internationally through its APT Worldwide service and distributes Create®TV — featuring the best of public television's lifestyle programming — and WORLD™, public television’s premier news, science and documentary channel. APT’s work is accomplished by an extraordinary team of people who are passionate about public media.
APT has the following 20 hours per week, part-time, benefitted position open and based in its Boston, MA location.
The Content Assistant will report to the VP Business Development, and will perform work assigned by the VP and the Directors. The two primary areas of work are for APT Worldwide, the international licensing service, and APT Presentations which manages content for distribution to the US public TV stations. The Assistant will primarily support the sales and content distribution efforts, and conduct special projects, as directed by the VP.
For APT Worldwide
- Support the team’s sales efforts by coordinating media assets
- Send and receive assets such as program files, closed caption files, promotional images, and transcripts
- Log assets into tracking databases
- Check file formats
- Timecode transcripts
- Create metadata sheets
- Keep contact, program and asset databases up to date
- Prepare marketing materials for print, web and the sales marketing
- Write copy
For APT Presentations
- Support the team in preparing content, such as series and specials, for distribution to public television stations
- Track schedules and delivery deadlines
- Run program carriage and coverage reports
- Process paperwork required for standards and practices
- Draft press kits
- Coordinate delivery of promotional materials from suppliers
Consistent and dependable attendance is essential and expected in both departments.
- Perform any related duties as assigned.
- Assist other departments as needed and as directed by VP Business Development.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred. Can be a college senior year student.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Fluent in English, second languages are a plus.
- Knowledge of video production and editing is a plus.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills
- Exemplary organizational and project management skills
- Knowledge of and/or facility with learning:
- Lotus Notes software, Google apps, DocuSign, Word, Excel and other PC-based Microsoft-based applications, Photoshop, InDesign, PowerPoint and image formats, basic file editing
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Results-oriented and personally-driven
- Professional in demeanor and phone manner
- Interest in public television programming a plus
- Recognizes and appreciates importance of, and contributes to, company Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion commitments
- Demonstrated experience in a multi-tasking work environment
- Ability to work independently under established and self-prioritized deadlines, and as part of teams
- Positive attitude, collaborative and collegial approach to work
- Comfortable working in a small company with a participatory work style
This job description is intended to be general and will evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management's discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
APT offers generous benefits, competitive salaries, and a dynamic work environment. If you have the required qualifications and skills, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by email to HRBusinessDevelopment@APTonline.org.
Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning on March 18 until the position is filled. The successful candidate may begin work in April/May. American Public Television is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.