ControllerSupervisor: Vice President of Finance and Administration
American Public Television (APT) is the leading syndicator of content to U.S. public television stations. For 60 years, APT has distinguished itself by delivering an ambitious volume of high quality programs to public media. APT’s diverse catalog includes prominent documentaries, performance, dramas, how-to programs, classic movies, children’s series, and news and current affairs programs. Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, America’s Test Kitchen From Cook’s Illustrated, AfroPoP, Rick Steves’ Europe, Pacific Heartbeat, Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Television, Legacy List with Matt Paxton, Lidia’s Kitchen, Kevin Belton’s New Orleans Kitchen, Simply Ming, The Best of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, Live From the Artists Den, James Patterson’s Kid Stew and NHK Newsline are a sampling of APT’s programs. APT also licenses programs internationally through its APT Worldwide service and distributes Create®TV — featuring the best of public television's lifestyle programming — and WORLD™, public television’s premier news, science and documentary channel. APT’s work is accomplished by an extraordinary team of people who are passionate about public media.
APT has the following full-time position open in its Boston, MA location.
The Controller reports to the Vice President of Finance and Administration and is responsible for the generation of monthly financial statements providing both external reporting and internal management reporting. The Controller is the primary liaison between the company and the external audit firm and provides analysis of financial performance as well as ensuring accuracy of financial reporting.
- Prepare monthly closing schedule and generate monthly financial statements in the first ten business days of the month.
- Ensure that all subsidiary ledgers are properly generated (Sales, Accounts Receivable, Cash Receipts, Accounts Payable, Cash Disbursements, Payroll) and reconciled to the General Ledger on a monthly basis.
- Analyze monthly financial results and provide information on significant transactions affecting the financial statements during the month.
- Provide monthly financial statement review with department heads, in which revenue and expense performance and trends are discussed and understood.
- Develop and administer a Revenue Recognition policy and ensure adherence on a monthly basis. Work with management to define all revenue and expense items for accounting and management purposes.
- Maintain the Dynamics General Ledger reporting package. Develop expertise in the report Writing function and transaction processing.
- Oversee and conduct training of the accounting staff.
- Act as primary liaison between the external auditors and the company. Direct the flow of information between the two groups and ensure that all information for the audit is provided.
- Maintain the Fixed Asset accounting system. Properly classify all fixed assets for tax and book purposes and reconcile to General Ledger. Ensure all depreciation and amortization entries are made.
- Serve as member of annual operating plan preparation team and quarterly budget reforecast team.
- Perform A/R collections and reporting.
- Prepare informational tax return Form 990 and MA Form PC for submission to the IRS and Massachusetts Attorney General’s office.
- Prepare and transmit the appropriate payroll and timekeeping information to the outside service bureau. Generate and input all payroll entries to the General Ledger and reconcile the payroll registers to the financial statements. Maintain all internal payroll files and data.
- Prepare annual Form 5500-SF for the 403(b) retirement savings plan, and related Form 8955-SSA Filing form for submission to the IRS and DOL.
- Prepare other periodic financial reports.
- Track investment purchases, sales, revenue, and portfolio balances on monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Supervise Accounting Clerk, and Receptionist for Ancillary Revenue duties.
- Perform Human Resources administration duties such as onboarding of new hires and the explanation of and enrollment in benefits.
- Benefits management including interaction with third party healthcare cost reimbursement company and all benefits providers (TIAA, HPHC, Delta Dental, HRCTS, STD & LTD insurers, LTC insurer, WC insurer including annual payroll audit, MBTA).
- Ancillary revenue tracking, reporting and collection using multi-year tracking spreadsheet and programs database information.
- Maintains regular and dependable attendance
- Prepare a daily and weekly cash position report for review by the V.P. Finance and Administration. This will include cash receipts and disbursements, transfers between investment accounts and a forecast of expenses over the next 60 days. Make funds transfers as necessary.
- Provide additional ad hoc reporting as required or requested by department heads, Vice President of Finance & Administration, or CEO to assist in company decision-making process.
- Process credit card payments for annual Fall Marketplace event registration.
- Collaborate with Sr. Contracts Specialist ensuring proper supplier payments.
- MBA or CPA with 5-10 years of relevant experience or someone who possesses significant, comparable experience and/or qualifications
- Hands on experience with a PC based General Ledger package
- Excellent verbal, written, and listening communication skills
- Supervisory experience
- Prior responsibility for the complete generation of monthly financial statements.
- Results-oriented and personally-driven
- Fine attention to detail and accuracy
- Professional in demeanor and phone manner
- Interest in public television programming a plus
- Recognizes and appreciates importance of, and contributes to, company Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion commitments
- Demonstrated experience in a multi-tasking work environment
- Ability to work independently under established and self-prioritized deadlines, and as part of teams
- Positive attitude, collaborative and collegial approach to work
- Comfortable working in a small company with a participatory work style
Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by email to: HRFinance@APTonline.org. Resume review process will begin April 4 and will continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is April/May.
APT is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls, please.