Marketing & Communications AssociateSupervisor: Vice President of Marketing & Communications
Summary: The Marketing & Communications Associate will collaborate with APT’s programming staff to write, edit and distribute TunedIn, the organization’s monthly B-to-B marketing newsletter. This position is also responsible for contributing social media posts across multiple platforms; creating press kits for syndicated public television programs and other marketing initiatives; writing and distributing corporate press releases; monitoring press coverage and maintaining media contact lists; and managing content on APT’s online catalog pages.
Working closely with the V.P. of Marketing & Communications, the Associate will focus on program promotion and engage with a select pool of media reporters and bloggers to pitch news stories. An important member of the Communications team, the Associate will participate in weekly Communications, Programming and Web team meetings plus periodic content and multicast channel meetings. Other duties include collaboration with Communications team members, mentoring student interns and providing administrative assistance as required.
- Research, write, edit and print TunedIn, APT’s monthly marketing newsletter
- Serve as APT’s key social media contributor by crafting timely, relevant posts about APT programming, talent/hosts and corporate achievements on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube
- Engage with viewers, talent/hosts and stations via APT’s social media pages
- Oversee all communications support for syndicated programming division, including the creation of catalog pages and related press/social media support materials, promotion of available assets to program licensees and participation in “special” program event related planning and execution (such as the release of new high-profile series)
- Oversee performance on the contracted media monitoring site – this includes creating, monitoring and manipulating multiple dashboards and making recommendations about usage and data needs
- Monitor press coverage of APT content and several multicast channels, ensuring that all relevant clips are filed and presented in regular reports for APT’s Board of Directors
- Participate in media outreach and create media distribution lists as needed
- Handle final formatting and distribution of corporate press releases using APT’s media distribution database as required
- Assist in the creation of time-sensitive promotional materials for APT press room, website, and general marketing campaigns
- Participate in team meetings
- Have regular and dependable work attendance
- Respond to public television station requests and needs for support materials and information
- Serve as one of the monitors of and responders to incoming viewer feedback
- Provide support across the institution as requested
- Assist other departments as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- Education, Skills, Experience
This position requires excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience with press releases, feature articles and social media content creation (portfolio of samples required). Proof of performance and understanding how to use various social media platforms and analytics to promote APT’s content is required, as is a proven understanding of journalism, enthusiasm in building a story and taking initiative to achieve promotional interest and coverage. A college degree or equivalent experience in writing, marketing and PR is required and a minimum one year work experience in Communications or media is preferred, with demonstrated writing and social media skills (Internships are applicable). Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud applications including InDesign, Photoshop, and standard Microsoft Office applications are required. A familiarity with Lotus/Domino with a demonstrated interest in public television/media is preferred.
- Results-oriented and personally-driven
- Fine attention to detail and accuracy
- Professional in demeanor and phone manner
- A strong interest and enthusiasm for public media and American Public Television programming
- Recognizes and appreciates the importance of, and contributes to, company Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion commitments
- Demonstrated experience in a multi-tasking work environment
- The ability to work independently under established and self-prioritized deadlines, and as part of teams
- Positive attitude, collaborative and collegial approach to work
- Comfortable working in a small company with a participatory work style
This job description is intended to be general and will evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
American Public Television is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If interested, please send resume, one writing sample and cover letter to: HRCommunications@APTonline.org. No phone calls, please