Vice President, Marketing and CommunicationsAmerican Public Television (APT) is one of the most successful public media organizations in the country. APT uses the power of media to make local stations more successful and provide memorable content to domestic and global consumers, aiming to expand their minds, increase understanding of our diverse world, provide enjoyment and foster lifelong learning. APT is seeking a dynamic Vice President of Marketing and Communications to grow our APT brands, communicate our impact, implement effective marketing strategies, represent content that shows the diversity of perspectives, and engage new and existing audiences.
APT JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Vice President, Marketing and Communications, American Public Television
Position Reports To: President and CEO, American Public Television
Company Headquarters: Boston, Massachusetts
About the Company:
American Public Television (APT) is the leading syndicator of high-quality, top-rated programming to the nation’s public television stations. Founded in 1961, APT distributes approximately 250 new program titles per year and typically more than one-third of the top 100 highest-rated public television titles in the U.S. APT’s diverse catalog includes prominent documentaries, performance, dramas, how-to programs, classic movies, children’s series and news and current affairs programs. APT also licenses programs internationally through its APT Worldwide service and distributes the popular Create®TV — featuring the best of public television's lifestyle programming — and WORLD™, public television’s premier news, science and documentary channel.
Summary – Job Objective:
The Vice President, Marketing and Communications defines, develops and executes APT’s brand and content marketing strategies to support business growth, strengthen brand awareness, and lead all marketing and communications to help achieve APT’s objectives related to strong content distribution via public TV stations and internationally, enhancing station success, growing revenue, increasing understanding of our diverse world and delivering impact. This VP has a dynamic role in the senior management team.
Overall Leadership and Management
- Serve as highly engaged member of APT’s senior team on matters including strategic planning, broadcast and digital initiatives, and help map the future of APT.
- Lead, manage and motivate the organization’s communications department as well as others throughout organization in various projects.
- Develop, manage and forecast annual budgets and updates. Provide input to multicast and new initiatives’ budgets.
- Maintain and grow key relationships with local public media stations, trade and general press, and external content suppliers.
- Strengthen APT’s brand and broaden knowledge of its content and unique value propositions to trade and general audience press. Build effective relationships with key national and international trade and consumer reporters and successfully pitch stories.
- Enhance APT’s overall brand awareness and specific content brands to public media stations via monthly newsletter, e-blasts, one-to-one relationships and other newly developed methods. Increase relationships with stations’ communications teams and various departments to help stations succeed by using APT content and services.
- Develop effective marketing campaigns for Create TV to stations, trade press and consumers (the latter primarily via social media, in addition to consumer press).
- Design efficient and successful marketing methods for public media stations to promote APT’s content and services to their station members and viewers via cross-platform approaches, including customizable templated assets, press releases, interviews and social media, plus talent appearances.
- Identify APT’s A-List titles in collaboration with content departments and develop effective and strong marketing campaigns.
- Lead the growth of APTonline.org and CreateTV.com primarily with the APT web team, programming teams and Communications staff working on efforts from timely information to user-generated content.
- Play a key role in the planning and execution of the annual conference (APT Fall Marketplace).
- Generate revenue via carriage results and other possible sources, and support APT’s revenue making products and services.
- Assist with the refinement of MyAPT, a station portal for APT content, updates, pricing and rights.
- Maximize ratings research, pledge results, social media metrics and other KPIs and share with key staff, Board and other constituencies.
- Lead, cultivate and manage a talented team of marketers, writers, and a designer, as well as provide ongoing support, mentorship, recognition and direction.
- Capable of leading crisis management in the rare occasion it is needed.
- Maintain dependable work attendance.
- Lead annual Communications survey to stations.
- Answer viewer questions.
- Perform any related duties as assigned.
- Train staff.
- Assist other departments as needed.
- Ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively
- Demonstrated experience in managing comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, marketing, event and brand management programs to advance an organization’s impact
- Ability to keenly analyze and review copy, graphics, social media and other marketing tools
- Understanding of the public media system
- Experienced with web content, digital content, social media and multi-platforms
- Exceptional verbal communication and written skills, with excellent editing and impeccable proofing skills
- Demonstrated success as a leader
- Strong project management ability
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe applications and other software. Use of on-line measurement tools such as CrowdTangle, traditional social media platforms and Google Analytics are important.
- Lotus Notes experience a plus
It is important that the final candidate possesses the following traits: is self-starting; goal-oriented; thorough and thoughtful; enthusiastic; has strong executive functioning skills and is able to deliver prolific volume of strong work; demonstrates excellent judgment; understands that diversity, inclusion, equity and accessibility are fundamental to our organization; capable of engaging in 360 degree thinking; is a respected leader of staff; a big picture thinker who understands the importance of details in execution; has successful interpersonal skills; is resourceful; contributes strongly to a positive work culture; and is comfortable in a small company environment. If you have the required knowledge, skills, and experiences, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to HRVPMarketing@APTonline.org. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning September 21 until the position is filled. The successful candidate may begin mid-January 2021 for training with predecessor who will remain in the post until the end of February 2021. This position offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. American Public Television is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. This job description is intended to be general and will evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management's discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.